Welcome!

We hope that you enjoy looking at some of our favorite photos! As a family, we have enjoyed birding for the last year and find it exciting to never know what you might see on your next trip. We love the outdoors and take every opportunity to get out there and enjoy it. Birding is a passion of ours and we hope you enjoy reading about some of our favorite memories as well!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Slow, Hot Summer!

 Well like I said, it has been too long since I have created a new post with some photos, but sure enough, here is another! Here is a collection of the past couple of outings. With the weather being hotter and with the summer months upon us, things tend to slow down, and birds become scarce. Having said that, I have been lucky to see a couple of cool summer time visitors though. Here are a couple of my favorite pictures! Enjoy!!

Here are a few shots of a Eastern Wood-Peewee. Funny name, but he is actually part of the flycatcher family. That basically means that he sits perched like this, waits for some sort of bug, fly, butterfly, dragonfly, etc. to come by, then swoops down and grabs it and comes right back to the same spot and perches again to eat his catch. They are fun to watch! 

This is a Green Heron! They are all around right now by the lakes, and are hard to spot because of how well they blend in with their surroundings. They sit on a limb above the water, then fly down and spear a fish to eat. They have crazy long necks, that are kind of freaky looking but keep them retracted most of the time. Oh, and they swallow their fish whole!

One of my favorite looking birds is this one, a Common Yellowthroat! They are small, quick and have a really neat song! Jason and I have this little guy circling us a couple of days ago looking for the sound that my phone app was making, and only managed to scrap up a few good shots of him. He is that quick! These photos are a little too grainy for me, but it was all I could get! 

Summer = Hummingbirds ! These are one of the hardest birds to get pictures of by the way. They are the fastest, smallest and most skiddish of all the others! I am still working on getting some more pictures of them without the feeder in the picture! 



I will do my best to make sure that I don't wait as long to post some more photos!

1 comment:

  1. Wow love the humming bird! you should sell your photos to some bird book person they are very good!

    ReplyDelete