Welcome!

We hope that you enjoy looking at some of our favorite photos! As a family, we have enjoyed birding for the last year and find it exciting to never know what you might see on your next trip. We love the outdoors and take every opportunity to get out there and enjoy it. Birding is a passion of ours and we hope you enjoy reading about some of our favorite memories as well!

Friday, April 13, 2012

3 FOY Bird Day

I went out this morning for a scenic drive, and came across a few good birds that I can check-off for this year's list. Unfortunately, the birds I really wanted pictures of were either half a mile out on the lake or really easily spooked along the shoreline. The highlights of the day were 2 Common Loons, (1 at Pine Lake, 1 at Stone Lake) a FOY (first of the year) Spotted Sandpiper and a few songbirds along the way. I'll be back out there to try and get better quality pictures! The first two pictures are of the CL. If I had a $8,000 lens to go with my camera, these pictures would be amazing.....BUT, I don't!

 The typical Mourning Dove. They are everywhere around here and usually fairly easy to take pictures of.
 Below are two pictures of the Spotted Sandpiper. Every time I would get within 40 yards of him, he took off flying and would land a couple yards further up the bank. This happened several times!
 I got a chance to drive back this evening and see if I could get another look at the Spotted Sandpiper. As I was driving along the edge of the water, I noticed a decent sized bird hiding in some thick weeds. I put the car in reverse to get a better look and I'm glad I did. It was a Wilson's Snipe resting under a bush. These guys are hard to find because of this fact alone, they hide very well. I tried to get some pictures of him, but I could never get the camera focused on him well, due to the thick vegetation. I tried though and at least you can see what a Snipe looks like now.


No comments:

Post a Comment